(416) 414-5690

Home Mould Mould Inspection Mould Cleaning Inspector Certification Mould Library About Us Contact Us

January 20, 2012

We were featured on CBC's Marketplace with Tom Harrington

Oct. 25, 2003

Meet Quincy, the four-legged mould detector

Canada's first mould-detecting dog is saving building owners from a fog of plaster dust.

Oct. 25, 2003

Meet Quincy, the four-legged mould detector

Canada's first mould-detecting dog is saving building owners from a fog of plaster dust.


We serve the following areas:

  • Toronto
  • Mississauga
  • Oakville
  • Burlington
  • Brampton
  • Hamilton
  • Guelph
  • Kitchener
  • Waterloo
  • Cambridge
  • St. Catharines
  • Niagara Falls
  • Barrie
  • King City
  • Maple
  • Richmond Hill
  • Thornhill
  • Pickering

Mould Cleaning

Here's what you should NOT be doing when faced
with possible mould growth at home or in the office!

When it comes to cleaning mould, it’s wise to use extreme caution when doing the clean up.  Mould growth, from condensation around windows, or in the bathroom, can be topical in nature (on the surface only) can be cleaned up easily.  Where there is minimal growth (a few square inches) household detergents can be used - soapy water with white vinegar; borax and water solution; or a traditional dish detergent.  It’s important, however, to avoid bleaches or chemical biocides because of their questionable effectiveness and the potential for health side effects.

When mould is found on drywall, wooden beams, carpeting, or insulation, it should really be tested to determine the type, extent and toxicity of the growth.  Clearly, the cause and magnitude of the problem should be determined prior to any clean up.  This is not a do-it-yourself project, and proper care is a must – residents and occupants must be protected, as well as other areas of the building.

Mould growth, and the surrounding area, should be disturbed as little as possible.  If mould is scrubbed or disturbed, spores may aerosolize, becoming part of the breathable air.  In this event, there is great danger that ingestion and inhalation of toxic spores may occur, with potentially serious health effects.

We recommend NOT ripping up carpeting; NOT demolishing drywall; and NOT trashing any building materials that present signs of mould – wait for a proper initial assessment.  If wall or ceiling cavities need to be opened, this should be done under supervised conditions, and with a certain level of containment – always with minimal damage to structure.  The rules are simple, yet essential: use only small entry points (1/2 inch diameter); properly re-seal all openings; avoid disturbing the mould growth.

Our company does not endorse the use of biocides or “killing agents”. Organizations like the Indoor Air Quality Association and the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists are also in agreement.  Biocides are not an easy fix – they do kill the mould, and may prevent growth, but biocides do not remove the toxic properties.  Using biocides only retards mould growth – in fact, dead spores can have the same toxicity as living spores, and the health effects are just as noxious.  We also don’t recommend drying out the mould. Drying removes the moisture that mould requires, and in turn, causes spores to aerosolize – not a good outcome. 

The information above is a general synopsis only!  Mould detection and assessment is a serious matter, and in most cases requires the attention of experts in the field, with the tools and technology to suit the task.  Our synopsis is not intended to diagnose health issues or medical conditions, and consumers should therefore consult a medical doctor or environmental-health practitioner.

Of course, the question remains - what SHOULD be done? Health Canadaadvocates using accredited air quality investigators, especially when personal health is concerned.  So for the consumer, it’s critical to find reputable contractors – certified, licensed professionals who are experts in the field.

Call us at (416) 414-5690 for further mould information

Note: The above information is a general overview only!  It is not intended for use in diagnosis of health effects, or medical conditions in any way.  Users of this site should consult with their doctor, or environmental health practitioner for specific information or health effects from exposure to mold and toxins.  If you believe that you have been exposed to mold or are feeling any health symptoms - consult your physician immediately.

The above is not intended to be used as a guide or protocol for mould remediation since it is not complete by any means.

Design by XI Digital